Wednesday, May 4

Lord's day, May 4.

My people being now removed to their lands, mentioned in my Journal of March 24, where they were then, and have since been, making provision for compact settlement, in order to their more convenient enjoyment of the gospel, and other means of instruction, as well as the comforts of life; I this day visited them, (being now obliged to board with an English family at some distance from them,) and preached to them in the forenoon from Mark iv. 5. "And some fell on stony ground," &c. Endeavoured to show them the reason there was to fear lest many promising appearances and hopeful beginnings in religion, might prove abortive, like the "seed dropped upon stony places."

In the afternoon discoursed upon Rom. viii. 9. "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." I have reason to think this discourse was peculiarly seasonable, and that it had a good effect upon some of the hearers. - Spent some hours afterwards in private conferences with my people, and laboured to regulate some things I apprehended amiss among some of them.

No comments: